The application period for this job closed August 10, 2023. If you’re interested in a future role as a contractor or employee with Siuslaw Vision, we invite you to fill out our Consultant Request for Qualifications.
Siuslaw Vision Coordinator
Posted: July 26, 2023; CLOSED
PDF of Job Posting/Description
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Thursday, August 10 at 6 p.m.-PST
Siuslaw Vision is looking for a Siuslaw community builder to join our team for up to 20 hours per week (0.5 FTE). If you love the Siuslaw region, are passionate about connecting with people to help make our community better, and are adaptable and creative, we’d love to hear from you.
The new coordinator will work with the current Vision Coordinator, contractors, and volunteers. The ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people one-on-one, and in large and small groups, and will be comfortable sharing the mission of Siuslaw Vision and asking for the community’s support. Currently we are seeking someone to focus on our Sustainable Planning and Fund Development, as outlined under Specialized Duties and Responsibilities in the job description. This position is essential to ensuring Siuslaw Vision is able to continue and expand its work helping our community realize its community-created vision. In addition to sustainability and fund development, the Vision Coordinator will work as time allows on one or more of the other areas listed in Specialized Duties. All of Siuslaw Vision’s work is done using a community-led approach, which means you’ll be working closely with volunteers and other active members of our community to support them in achieving community vision projects.
Siuslaw Vision is committed to work–life balance and provides a flexible, remote work schedule.
Reports to: Board of Directors, the governing body of Siuslaw Vision
- Part-time employee position (.5 FTE) up to 20 hours per week
- $30 per hour + paid leave and health care stipend
- Employee will work remotely, but must live in the Siuslaw region of W. Lane County.
About Siuslaw Vision
Building a better Siuslaw community together
Siuslaw Vision convenes, catalyzes, and connects individuals and organizations who want to improve quality of life for people living in the Siuslaw region. We help people implement locally-owned solutions that address community-identified goals. Learn more at www.SiuslawVision.org/About.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following through our Application Form:
- Information requested on the form:
- Your contact information
- Experience in building community, either professionally or personally
- Experience you’ve had with Siuslaw Vision (volunteer, attending events, etc.)
- Experience in fund development or sustainability planning.
- Which of the specialty areas, besides fund development, listed in the job description you are most interested in (one or two)
- How your experience has prepared you to be successful in the specialty roles you selected
- Anything else you’d like us to know that makes you a strong candidate for a Vision Coordinator position
- A resume outlining your skills and experience.
- Optional supplemental materials
Once you’ve submitted your form we will confirm receipt of your materials. If you need an alternate submission method, please contact email@example.com by email. Thank you for your interest in Siuslaw Vision!
Note: Upriver Vision Coordinator
The Mapleton School District is also hiring a Vision Coordinator to work on student and community-led projects. The ideal candidate will reside in the Upriver Siuslaw communities of Mapleton, Swisshome, Deadwood, or other unincorporated areas east of Florence. While the hiring processes are separate for the two Vision Coordinator positions, Siuslaw Vision and MSD will be working together to hire two amazing community builders! We encourage you to apply for both positions if you live in the Upriver area. The Mapleton job is posted on the MSD website.
Siuslaw Vision Coordinator Position Description
The Vision Coordinator, under the supervision of the Siuslaw Vision Board of Directors and guidance of the Siuslaw Vision Team, helps build a better Siuslaw community by developing relationships, connecting people, communicating, serving as a community liaison, and providing support. The Coordinator works with the Vision Team and the Vision’s community partners to support long-term, sustainable action related to the community vision’s focus areas of Working, Happy, Educated, Connected, Creative, and Active People. In addition to the General Duties and Responsibilities, the Vision Coordinator will be responsible for one or more ongoing activities depending on their interests and expertise (see Specializations section for detailed descriptions).
General Qualifications and Requirements
- Demonstrates ability to effectively interact with diverse individuals and organizations in a rural setting.
- Demonstrates strong support for the Siuslaw Vision’s strategic direction and goals.
- Has a history of patience, tact, and good judgment with continuous positive feedback from volunteers, other community representatives, and supervisors in previous employment.
- Is a strong team player and problem solver.
- Demonstrates creativity, flexibility, and positive attitude.
- Comfortable working in online and digital environments.
- Able to work occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Maintains a valid Oregon driver’s license and is able to drive to various locations on Vision business utilizing their personal vehicle. (Mileage reimbursement available)
- Has ability to maintain confidentiality with regard to sensitive and controversial subjects and information.
- Is self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision.
The Siuslaw Vision Board of Directors supervises the Coordinator. The Board of Directors sets policy and ensures Siuslaw Vision is operating as a responsible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Vision Coordinator scope of work guided by the Vision Team.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in a wide variety of duties required to plan and facilitate the work of the Vision Team.
- The Vision Team is a volunteer steering committee that defines the work of Siuslaw Vision, based on current strategic needs in the community.
- Works with Vision Team, Board, and contractors to develop and execute fundraising strategies to sustain Siuslaw Vision operations and projects.
- Builds and maintains relationships with Siuslaw region governments, organizations, businesses and individuals to further the work of the Vision Team.
- Participates in Vision and Vision-related committees.
- Interacts with Siuslaw Vision funders, partners, and potential funders to communicate the Vision’s accomplishments and needs.
- Provides clerical and logistical support for Vision meetings and programs.
- Provides timely and accurate information to the Siuslaw Vision Team.
- Maintains statistics and data for reporting to Siuslaw Vision partners and funders.
- Researches trends in community building and applies that knowledge in the Siuslaw region.
- Other duties as assigned, including logistical, event, and clerical support for the Siuslaw Vision.
General Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of Siuslaw region organizations, trends, and community demographics.
- Working ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong ability to use various word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and print and online publishing programs.
- Working ability to use Google Drive for file sharing and collaboration.
- Experience using remote meeting software, such as Zoom, Google Meet, or Microsoft Teams, to run remote or hybrid meetings.
- Willingness to work using a community building approach in the Siuslaw region.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with community organizations and volunteers to provide positive representation of the Siuslaw Vision.
- Ability to routinely lift and carry 10-40 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Ability to sit, stand, and perform general office duties with or without accommodation.
- Continually assess community needs and outreach resources to bring this information back to the Vision Team.
- Knowledge and use of effective techniques for interacting positively with a variety of individuals from various socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of various community and regional resources and programs.
- Experience in effectively working with volunteer boards and organizations.
Experience and Training
The ideal candidates will have at least two years of relevant experience and the ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position. A bachelor’s degree in an area of study relevant to the position is preferred, but candidates with work and life experiences in lieu of a degree will be considered.
If you are interested in this position and believe that you have the skills and experience to be successful, we encourage you to apply. We do not expect candidates to meet all of the qualifications listed in the job description. We are looking for someone who is passionate about the work we do, eager to learn, and who is excited to be a part of our team.
Specialized Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the General Duties and Responsibilities listed above, the Vision Coordinator will be responsible for one or more ongoing specialty areas listed below, depending on their interests and expertise.
Sustainability and Fund Development Specialty
- Coordinates Siuslaw Vision Fee for Services and Fiscal Sponsorship programs.
- Researches, writes, or coordinates grants for Siuslaw Vision operations and programs. May work in collaboration with Vision Grant Services contractor.
- Conducts community member donor campaigns.
- Seeks organization and corporate sponsorships.
- Explores other ways of sustaining Siuslaw Vision work, both through raising funds and developing volunteers and staff leaders.
- Creates and delivers presentations to groups in person and online.
- Creates or oversees print and digital materials to market Siuslaw Vision and its projects.
- Maintains an online presence for the Vision that includes a social media presence and contributions to Siuslaw Vision websites.
- Distributes marketing materials in person and online and explores new opportunities for distribution of information (new community bulletin boards, video boards, AI distribution, social media, community TV, etc.).
- Gives in-person and online presentations about Siuslaw Vision and its projects.
- Assists with maintenance and marketing of RiverCal.org community calendar and Siuslaw Community Resources Guide.
- Assists Vision Volunteer/s in planning and executing outreach events, such as community meetings, conversations, training, and celebrations.
Community Calendar Specialty (RiverCal.org)
- Oversees the online community calendar maintained by Siuslaw Vision.
- Reviews RiverCal.org regularly to check for event accuracy, duplication, and missing events.
- Works with other organizations to display events from a variety of community calendars on RiverCal.
- Promotes calendar and its events on social media and other media outlets.
- Gives presentations on RiverCal.
- Trains community members on use of RiverCal.org.
- Works with volunteer calendar content creators.
- Explores ways to distribute and share the calendar with unique audiences in the community (printed calendars, customized versions of the calendar, etc.).
Volunteer Coordination Specialty
- Develops and markets Siuslaw Vision Visionaries (ambassador) program.
- Recruits and trains volunteers for Siuslaw Vision, such as Vision Team, Board of Directors, Visionaries, subcommittees, and working teams.
- With Vision Team, schedules and conducts entry and exit interviews for volunteers.
- Provides support for volunteer mentoring program.
- Supports volunteer groups by assisting with meetings, events, and data collection.
- Tracks volunteer hours and scheduling.
- Develops/revises volunteer policy for recommendation to the Board of Directors.
- Coordinates volunteer subcommittees and assists with scheduling and facilitating.
- Assists with planning for volunteer appreciation and celebration.
- Explores opportunities for collaboration with other community organizations (i.e., volunteer matching system for the Siuslaw region, volunteer celebrations, training, fairs).
Administration and Data Specialty
- Is the primary record keeper and organizer of Vision materials and documents.
- Pays bills, tracks expenses, and retains records for Siuslaw Vision expenses.
- Works with the treasurer of the Board of Directors and bookkeeper to maintain records of expenses.
- Assists with formation of SV annual budget.
- Develops and maintains project tracking and community asset mapping data.
- Maintains policy and procedure documentation.
- Supports Board of Directors meetings.
- Works with community organizations and volunteers to oversee and update Siuslaw Community Resources Guide.
- Serves as point of contact for contractors, consultants, and funders.
- Keeps inventory of Siuslaw Vision supplies, promotional materials, and equipment.
This job includes self-directed, telecommuting office work and personal contact with community members and Vision volunteers at meetings and events. Siuslaw Vision does not maintain an office. Collaboration with various community agencies and organizations is vital. The position requires cultural, racial, ethnic, and economic diversity sensitivity.
Hours of work may vary from day to day and may include evenings and weekends depending on the needs of the organization, volunteers, and community members. The position requires a consistent number of hours each week, but the employee can set their own schedule most weeks to accommodate family and personal needs. Occasional overnight travel may be required to attend statewide meetings and training. Work–life balance is important to Siuslaw Vision. Accrued leave and holidays are expected to be used.
Siuslaw Vision celebrates diversity and inclusion.
We value all people without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, marital/family status, or veteran status. Siuslaw Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit these documents as a single PDF package to Stephanie Sarles, Vision Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received by 6 p.m.-PST on Thursday, August 10, 2023. We look forward to hearing from you!
Download a PDF version of the job posting and description