Help for individuals and families in the Siuslaw
Many of our Siuslaw region community members are struggling during this time. Fortunately, our region has organizations and resources to help. Here’s a list of some of them. Please reach out for the support you need. We all need a little help sometimes. If you are looking for a resource that’s not listed, feel free to email Siuslaw Vision and we’ll do our best to connect you.
COVID-19 testing – FREE (no insurance needed)
Reviewed February, 2023
- Rite Aid (Hwy. 101 and 35th) in Florence offers drive-through COVID-19 testing for ages 4 and up. Schedule an appointment or order a home test.
- Find another testing site in Oregon. You can also call 211 for testing locations.
- Lane County Public Health COVID testing information, including community testing events. Insurance is not required.
- Call Peace Harbor PeaceHealth Medical Center to find out about testing options from your provider or the walk-in clinic: 541-997-8412.
- Don’t delay your non-COVID medical care! Call your provider if you need care. You may be able to see your provider virtually.
Reviewed February, 2023
- Florence Food Share – Florence Food Share is open for shopping. If you need food for yourself or your family, they can help. No proof of income is required.
- Mapleton Food Share is open on the second Thursday and fourth Saturday of every month. Call 541-268-2715.
- Helping Hands offers lunches at noon Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at Community Baptist Church, 4590 Highway 101.
- Free Lunch Program at Florence United Methodist Church, Kingwood Street, has lunch available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The Florence Senior Center serves a low-cost lunch through Café 60 and Singing Pines. Learn more on their website, or call 541-997-8844.
- Food help for older adults – The Senior Meals Program of Lane County, Oregon is a program of Senior and Disability Services, a division of Lane Council of Governments.
Job or income loss resources
- If you’re struggling to pay your mortgage, rent, or other bills, call your provider right away (before your payment is late) and see if they have programs to help you.
- See the Employment section of the Siuslaw Community Resources Guide for organizations that can help.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides low-income Oregonians assistance with their home energy expenses. The LIHEAP program includes bill payment assistance, energy education, case management, and home weatherization services. Siuslaw Outreach Services manages the LIHEAP program for the Siuslaw region. Call SOS at 541-997-2816, ext. 204.
- Free wifi internet access is available at the Siuslaw Public Library in Florence and Mapleton. In Florence, look for wifi networks Library 1A, 2, or 3A; in Mapleton: mapletonlibrary. Internet hot spots are also available for check out.
- Siuslaw Public Library District also provides computer access. Visit the website, or call 541-997-3132 to find out current hours.
DevNW offers financial counseling and support in personal finance, home ownership, student debt and more with a $75 per year membership. Engage in phone or web-based financial counseling and financial wellbeing classes. Learn more.
Referrals, housing, domestic violence support
- Siuslaw Outreach Services is a great place to start if you need some help during this challenging time. SOS helps with things like housing, utilities, transportation, personal care, and domestic violence. Call 541-997-2816 or email email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing domestic or sexual violence, please call the SOS crisis line at 541-997-4444, or dial 911.
- The Mobile Crisis Response team is part of the Western Lane Fire and EMS Authority (WLFEA) and has team members who can help with mental health concerns. Call WLFEA at 541-997-3212 and ask for an MCR member.
- Student Resource Centers at Siuslaw and Mapleton schools provide behavioral health services and resource referrals to K-12-age children and their families. Leave a message at 541-997-5410.
- Siuslaw Elementary counseling resource page
- Link Lane offers bus service from Florence/Mapleton to Eugene, or Florence to Yachats. For the safety of the riders and drivers, face masks are required.
- Coos County Transit Authority offers service from Florence to Coos Bay.
Information reviewed February 6, 2023.